Business plan can boost odds of success



Q: Why prepare a business plan? I'm very experienced in my field and don't need financing. My uncle says I have a good idea and should just get started before somebody else beats me to it.

A: The need for business planning is all about managing risk. The greater the risk, the greater the need to investigate, research and think through all relevant aspects of starting or operating a business.
Some business ventures or situations carry little risk. Maybe your business gives you a nice, stable income, you don't particularly want or need to grow, or you and your employees could survive if your business suddenly shut down. In those cases, you may not need a formal business plan, and need only keep your eye on your market and on others who could affect your business.
But the more you are risking, in terms of dollar investment, time spent deferring something else you need or want to do, or maybe forgoing income for your family, the more you need to formalize your plan.
Veteran SCORE counselor and small-business owner Matt Fitzgerald says: "The value lies in the process of researching and thinking about your business in a systematic and critical way … not in producing a finished document."
Avoiding mistakes
You'll need a document, though, to share your ideas and plan with others. The plan is not only important for starting up, but for running the business as well. It takes time now, but can avoid costly, perhaps disastrous, mistakes later.
For startups, it gives you an indication of how successful you might be. For existing businesses, it tells you the condition of your operation. Can you take advantage of opportunities that may arise or deal effectively with challenges that may occur?
You can start or run a successful business without a business plan, and you can fail with a good one. An appropriate plan just increases your chances of success.
SCORE counselor
Fitzgerald suggests a thorough review of a business plan from someone like a SCORE counselor. "Getting a third party to serve as a sounding board will provide valuable, unbiased feedback on how to improve things, look at the plan from a lender's or investor's perspective, and raise questions you may have overlooked," he says.
Fitzgerald will teach a SCORE workshop on business planning on June 16. Learn more and register at www.scorehouston.org.

1 comment:

  1. I’m Bolivar Agata by name. I live in Spain, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scammers everywhere.Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Mrs.Mary Clark who lend me an unsecured loan of $95,000 under 2hours without any stress. If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: maryclarkservice1@yahoo.com I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders. And I don’t wish even my enemy to pass through such hell that I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent online lenders,i will also want you to help me pass this information to others who are also in need of a loan once you have also receive your loan from Mrs.Mary Clark, i pray that God should give her long life.

    God bless him forever.

    Bolivar Agata

    Testimony how i get my loan

    ReplyDelete